100 Calorie Chocolate Orange Muffins
This was my 4th attempt at this recipe and I have finally perfected it – the 100 calorie chocolate orange muffin!
I came to the conclusion that in order to have a truly delicious chocolate-y muffin, you need to use actual chocolate. My attempts using only cocoa powder tasted nice but not blog-worthy nice.
Thankfully, only a small amount of chocolate was needed which gives these muffins an amazing flavour without adding tons of calories!
My motivation for this is partly because of all the amount of baking I do, and consequential eating of said bakes, the calories do add up. So this is essentially my idea of a bit of “damage control.”
Fun fact: If you ate the entire batch of these muffins, you would still be well within your daily calorie limit. I don’t suggest this, of course (seriously, don’t.) But it’s fun to think about…
Anyway, enough about calories. These are delicious muffins in any case scenario! Spongy, moist, zingy, chocolate-y perfection.
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes
Calories: 108 KCAL
Moist, light & chocolatey muffins with all the flavour and a fraction of the calories!
• 180 ml / 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
• Zest and juice from 1 medium orange
• 190 ml / 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp agave nectar
• Optional 1 tsp natural orange flavouring
• 125 g / 1 1/4 cup spelt flour*
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 30 g unsweetened cocoa powder
• 50 g coarsely chopped dairy-free dark chocolate**
• Optional A few dark chocolate chips for decorating on top
1. Preheat the oven to 170c / 350f and line a muffin tin with 12 liners.
2. Mix the almond milk, orange juice and zest, agave nectar and orange flavouring in a bowl or jug.
3. In another bowl, stir together the spelt flour, baking powder, bicarb and cocoa powder.
4. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry, mixing until well combined. Stir in the chocolate.
Full Recipe:Click Here