Butternut Squash and Spinach Quesadillas
I was intrigued by the Pioneer Woman’s Butternut Squash and Kale Quesadillas recipe. A squash-filled flour tortilla would be in keeping with for our weekly Tex-Mex Tuesday tradition, yet was the perfect fall twist. (And, I’m always looking for ways to keep our Tuesday menu fresh and new.)
I switched out the kale for spinach and left off the chili powder (otherwise, I would have to eat ALL of the quesadillas at our house.) So, I can’t speak to the deliciousness of the original recipe, although I’m sure it is awesome. But, these buttery fried tortillas filled with sauteed butternut squash, spinach and mozzarella cheese (or a vegan substitute for my darling daughter) are divine.
Butternut squash and spinach quesadillas are a sublime treat, except that they’re not a dessert at all but rather a delicious meatless meal or appetizer.
Prep Time:15 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
Course: Main Course
Servings: 4 servings
• 4 cups butternut squash peel and diced into small 1/2 inch size cubes
• 1 Tablespoon olive oil
• 2 teaspoons butter
• 6 ounces baby spinach leaves
• 16 six inch flour tortillas or 8-12 eight inch ones whole wheat
• 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
1. Heat olive oil and 1 teaspoon of butter over medium-high heat.
2. Add butternut squash and saute for about 5-7 minutes or until squash is just about fork tender.
3. Add spinach leaves and saute for about 3 minutes more or until spinach has wilted. Remove from heat.
To assemble each quesadilla
1. Butter one side of the tortilla and place it butter-side down in a clean pan that has been heated over medium heat.
2. Spread about 1/2 cup of butternut squash and spinach mixture over the tortilla.
Full Recipe:Click Here