Crispy Roast Potatoes Ever
These are the most flavorful crispy roast potatoes you’ll ever make. And they just happen to be gluten-free and vegan (if you use oil) to boot.
These roast potatoes maximize the crisp-to-creamy contrast in each chunk of potato. We’ve tested and retested every variable, from cut size to potato type to boiling and roasting methods. The result is this recipe, which we firmly and un-humbly believe will deliver the greatest roast potatoes you’ve ever tasted: incredibly crisp and crunchy on the outside, with centers that are creamy and packed with potato flavor.
• Kosher salt
• 1/2 teaspoon (4g) baking soda
• 4 pounds (about 2kg) russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters, sixths, or eighths, depending on size (see note)
• 5 tablespoons (75ml) extra-virgin olive oil, duck fat, goose fat, or beef fat
• Small handful picked rosemary leaves, finely chopped
• 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
• Freshly ground black pepper
• Small handful fresh parsley leaves, minced
1. Adjust oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 450°F/230°C (or 400°F/200°C if using convection). Heat 2 quarts (2L) water in a large pot over high heat until boiling. Add 2 tablespoons kosher salt (about 1 ounce; 25g), baking soda, and potatoes and stir. Return to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until a knife meets little resistance when inserted into a potato chunk, about 10 minutes after returning to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, combine olive oil, duck fat, or beef fat with rosemary, garlic, and a few grinds of black pepper in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. Cook, stirring and shaking pan constantly, until garlic just begins to turn golden, about 3 minutes. Immediately strain oil through a fine-mesh strainer set in a large bowl. Set garlic/rosemary mixture aside and reserve separately.
Full Recipe:Click Here