Grilled Thai Curry Chicken Skewers with Coconut Peanut Sauce
Recipe for smoky grilled chicken skewers marinated in ginger, garlic, coconut cream and soy sauce. Then finish with a sweet coconut cream glaze and served with a simple peanut sauce. Great taste, very easy to put together.
There’s something about roasts that really gets me excited and makes me feel like Spring is finally here! It must have something to do with the smell of BBQ charcoal in the air telling me that everyone feels the same way and loves warmer weather, Regard less of the weather, I love grilled meat, even in very cold winter!
This grilled chicken recipe was actually born out of my love (and addiction to) coconut cream. The chicken skewers are seasoned with coconut cream, soy sauce, garlic and ginger from the herbs and then grilled on the bbq for a smoky taste. I smeared it at the very end with a little coconut cream which gave it a little sweetness at the end. I love pairing this chicken with super easy peanut sauce and ta-da, You have some really good food to share with everyone (or hoard yourself).
For this chicken skewer recipe, you can find most of the ingredients at your local grocery store except coconut cream, oyster sauce, and black soy sauce. Coconut cream, oyster sauce, and black soy sauce can be found at Asian grocery stores or online.
This chicken skewer recipe, doesn’t really need any sauce but if you are like me and like to dip everything, here is a quick and easy peanut sauce that I usually like to stir to dip my chicken skewers in. the ingredients are right down on the recipe card.
Prep Time:30 Mins
Cook Time:15 Mins
Total Time:45 Mins
- 1 kg chicken
- 1 tablespoon black soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 4-5 ginger slices
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
Coconut Cream Glaze
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
Simple Peanut Sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili oil
- mashed beans
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste
- Set aside until the chicken skewers are ready to serve.
- Quick & Easy Peanut Sauce
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients from the ingredient list for peanut sauce and mix well.
Soaking & Skewering the Chicken
- If you are using a wooden skewer, in a tall cup, add water and soak the back end (non-sharp end) so it doesn’t burn on the grill.
- Cut the chicken into 1×1 inch pieces and place in a bowl
- Using your preferred method (mortar and pestle, food processor, or finely chopped by hand) chop the garlic and ginger as finely as possible and add to the chicken.
- Add the remaining marinade ingredients from the ‘Marinade’ ingredient list to a bowl and mix everything.
- Let the spices soak in the bowl for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator
- Take it out of the fridge 30 minutes before you are going to bake it.
- Skewer the chicken. You may need to stab several parts twice to prevent many of the pieces from falling off. The pieces that come off usually burn the fastest, so you want the meat to fit on the skewers.
Making a Coconut Cream Glaze
In a small bowl, combine the coconut cream, honey and soy sauce, set aside to coat the chicken at the very end.
- Set your charcoal or gas grill to an ambient temperature of 500F (260C)
- When the grill has reached temperature, add the skewers to the grill. You want to cook it over direct heat.
- Turn over every 2-3 minutes, 4-5 times or for approximately 15-18 minutes. Don’t leave them unattended, they will burn quickly. After the meat has browned and been charred over direct heat for 15 minutes, the meat will feel denser on the stick and should be cooked.
- Grease the coconut cream glaze and flip it over every minute, 2-3 times to get sweet, sticky caramel charcoal.
- Serve over green lettuce with peanut sauce.