New England Lobster Roll Recipe
Eating lobster is typically a luxury for us – reserved for special occasions or a special and delicious treat, But because of an abundance of Maine lobsters this summer – prices on the lobster market in New England are at record lows. So we’ve had enough of (and thoroughly enjoyed) this delicious seafood.
The classic New England dish is that the Lobster Roll, While the first Maine lobster roll is just cooked with lobster meat and melted butter on a toasted, buttered hot dog roll, most restaurants make New England lobster rolls with a lobster salad made with a mayonnaise base. Today’s recipe may be a classic New England lobster roll almost like that served at local area restaurants.
For making a very classic New England lobster roll, the split-top hot dog roll may be a time-honored bread choice. The split-top hot dog rolls are baked together in order that once they are pulled apart, there’s no outer coating on the edges of the roll. If you employ live lobster that you simply are cooking yourself, the yield is about 25%. So for four pounds of live lobster, you get one pound of cooked meat (give or take a couple of ounces counting on the dimensions of the lobster. The smaller the lobster, the lower the yield). The preparation times below don’t include lobster cooking times.
- 1 pound cooked lobster meat, dig bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons of fresh juice
- ¼ cup finely chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped chives
- 1 sauce
- A pinch is salt
- A pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Split-top hot dog rolls
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- Place the cooked lobster meat during a large bowl.
- In a separate, smaller bowl, combine the mayonnaise, juice, celery, parsley, chives, hot sauce, and salt and pepper. Mix and taste as a seasoning. Once you’ve got the spices to your liking, add the cooked lobster meat and stir.
- Grease each side of the roll with butter and bake each side during a medium skillet over medium heat until lightly brown.
- Divide the lobster salad between each roll as desired. Some serve lettuce under a lobster salad but we like it without, your choice.