Rhubarb Scones with Whipping Cream
These easy Rhubarb scones are the scone recipe for your next breakfast, brunch, or garden picnic, the addition of sour cream makes these scones extra moist and fluffy.
The weather in Calgary ended up being good enough for breakfast in the park, so I wanted to make my favorite scone and take it out with a cup of coffee and a good book, As a special treat, I don’t make the usual scones, but rhubarb scones that are soft and fluffy – crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
Why this recipe for Rhubarb Scones works?
Can you think of a better spring breakfast treat than the fluffy, fluffy Rhubarb Scone? Cloudy, fluffy and studded with juicy, sour pieces of rhubarb.
The recipe for this delicious Rhubarb Scone is super easy, You can even make them in advance and freeze them before baking.
Whether fresh out of the oven or reheated in the toaster the following day, this Rhubarb Scone with Sour Cream is the ultimate breakfast treat.
For my soft and fluffy Rhubarb Scones, I used the Basic Recipe for Flaky Scones. In this recipe video, you can see a step-by-step guide on how to make the best scones.
Tips for this Rhubarb Scone Recipe.
Here’s a tip for baking with rhubarb! I always stir the chopped rhubarb in the sugar and let it sit for at least 30 minutes until it’s juicy. If I want to bake first thing in the morning, I even do it overnight. I didn’t plan to have this rhubarb cake happen that morning, so I just cut up my Rhubarb and tossed it with 2 tablespoons of sugar and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then I threw away the liquid.
Make sure your ingredients are ice cold.
You can freeze the scones for about 15 minutes and meanwhile heat up your oven. This helps them keep their shape.
These rhubarb scones can be made in advance. Cut into slices and freeze on a tray, then wrap in clingfilm and store in a freezer bag. Bake from frozen, adding to the roasting time of about 3 minutes.
Prep Time: 15 Mins
Cook Time: 15 Mins
Total Time: 30 Mins
- 1 1/2 cups sliced rhubarb
- 200 ml of cold sour cream, beat with milk
- 4 tablespoons cold milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For Rhubarb Scones, just make a dough using sour cream, milk and vanilla as the liquid ingredients.
- Form the scones as described in the blog post for Flaky Scones (watch video on post), add some dried rhubarb after the first letter folds as your dough rolls into a rectangle. Push the rhubarb pieces into the dough, fold, shape and cut into 8 slices.
- Brush the scones with egg wash and bake at 220 Celsius for about 15 minutes. Let cool a little.