Spooky Purple Velvet Cake
We had such a blast creating this grain-free purple velvet cake! This time, we decided to throw caution to the wind and not worry about even layers and perfect frosting-–and what we ended up with is an incredibly moist, delicious, whimsical homestyle cake–with a lot of frosting!!
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: About an hour
Yield: 12-14 Slices
· 2 1/2 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
· 3/4 cup tapioca starch
· 3/4 cup sugar
· 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
· 2 teaspoons baking powder (Hain brand is grain-free).
· 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
· 1 egg
· 1/4 cup olive oil
· 3/4 cup milk (or almond milk for dairy-free)
· 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
· 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
· 1 1/2 tablespoons purple food coloring (see Tips section in post above for natural color option)
· 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar (Wholesome! brand is grain-free).
· 3/4 cup butter (Earth Balance Spread for dairy-free)
· 3 tablespoons milk or almond milk
· 2 teaspoons vanilla
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· food coloring (options in tips in post above)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, tapioca starch, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda + baking powder.
3. Add your egg, oil, milk, vanilla, apple cider vinegar + food coloring. Stir until you have a smooth batter.
4. Pour batter into two well greased 8 inch cake pans-batter rises quite a bit. (See tips in post above for square cake, cupcake + 3 layer options.
Full Recipe:Click Here