Sweet And Sour Tofu Recipe
This is how to make tofu taste good – toss crispy tofu cubes with bell peppers in a sweet and sour sauce and serve with a side of steamed white rice. This is an easy sweet and sour vegan tofu recipe that is way better than Chinese takeout! Plus, it’s ready in just 20 minutes!
These past three weeks flew by so quickly, it always seems to go by faster when I’m in Japan.
This time Ben and I took my mother to Okinawa for a little R&R. We picked a quiet resort by the beach because we wanted to unplug from everything and forget about work and responsibilities. The weather was heavenly, the water as clear as can be and the food, simply exquisite! We were there for just a few days but it was long enough for all of us to fall in love with Okinawa.
Author: Caroline Phelps
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 people
Method: Stir frying
• 14 ounces medium firm tofu
• 1 red bell pepper (cored and chopped into bite size pieces)
• 1 green bell pepper (cored and chopped into bite size pieces)
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• cornstarch for dusting
For the Sweet and Sour Sauce:
• 3 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon ketchup
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
• 3 tablespoons rice vinegar or cider vinegar
• 1/3 cup water
1. Whisk all the ingredients for the sweet and sour sauce (until sugar has dissolved) in a bowl and set aside.
2. Drain tofu and wrap in paper towel or tea towel to remove excess water. Repeat 3 to 4 times until the tofu is drier. Slice tofu into 1 inch cubes.
3. Dust tofu with potato starch until all sides are well coated.
4. In a large pan over high heat, add oil and tofu and fry until all sides are slightly golden (about 7 minutes). Transfer tofu to a plate and set aside.
Full Recipe:Click Here