World’s Best Cake
A Norwegian Classic
This is a Norwegian cake from my cookbook, “Sweet Paul: Eat & Make
You will need:
· 10½tablespoons (1 stick plus 21⁄2 tablespoons) butter, softened
· 12⁄3 cups granulated sugar, separated
· 11⁄3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
· 1 teaspoon baking powder
· 5 large eggs, separated
· 1⁄3 cup whole milk
· 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
· 1 cup heavy cream
· 1⁄2 vanilla bean
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F, with a rack in the middle position. Line an 8-x-12-inch baking pan with parchment paper. I recomend not using glass pans, use metal.
2. Beat the butter and 2⁄3 cup of the sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and creamy, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the flour and baking powder and mix well on low speed.
4. Mix in the egg yolks and milk.
5. Scrape the batter into the baking pan.
6. In a large clean bowl, beat the egg whites and the remaining 1 cup sugar to soft peaks. Spread on top of the cake layer. Sprinkle with the almond slices.
Full Recipe:Click Here